1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed 250g pork sausage mince 100g breadcrumbs
1 tbsp each thyme & oregano, finely chopped
FOR THE TURKEY
2 red onions, quartered
1 x 1,8 2kg turkey, thoroughly defrosted, with giblets removed 180g butter, softened 1 tbsp each thyme, rosemary & parsley, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed Zest & juice of 1 lemon Salt & milled black pepper Bay leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C.
2. To make the stuffing: Heat oil in a pan and fry onion until golden.
Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, then set aside to cool. Once cooled, add the mince, breadcrumbs and herbs and season well. Set aside.
3. For the turkey: Place the onions
In a large roasting pan and arrange the turkey on top.
4. Combine the butter, herbs, garlic and lemon and season with salt and pepper. Slather the butter onto the skin of the turkey and tuck some of it under the skin along with bay leaves.
5. Fill the cavity with the stuffing and truss the bird to ensure it cooks evenly. See TIPs on page 107.
6. Cover the pan with foil and roast, covered, for 2-21/4 hours, basting with the pan juices every 30 minutes.
7. Remove the foil, increase the heat to 190°C and roast for a further 30-40 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
8. To serve: Carve the turkey into portions, arrange on a platter and serve while hot.
FOR THE STUFFING Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Tear-and-share sausage rolls with tomato chutney
- 4 Best Life Hacks to Eat Better
- THE NO 1 COCKTAIL HOUR CROWD PLEASER?
- Great Tasting Breakfast
- Benefits Of: CUCHINITO, EXPLODING CUCUMBER