These delicious little appetizers are sweet, oily, and a little pungent. They are good for all body types when served as hot hors doeuvres. Allow 2 to 3 per person. The topping alone makes a delightful sweet condiment or chutney.
Makes 2 cups chutney or 30 appetizers
FOR THE TOPPING
11/2 tablespoons ghee 1/2 teaspoon cayenne 1/2 cup milk or cream 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste 1/2 teaspoon allspice 1/2 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed saffron 1/4 cup currants or raisins
1 to 11/2 cups coconutfinely chopped is best, but flaked will do
In a small saucepan or frying pan, heat the ghee over a moderately high flame. Then add the cayenne and stir about 1 minute. Stir in the milk, the sugar, the allspice, and the crumbled saffron threads. Bring to a boil, stirring often. The milk should begin turning golden yellow. Reduce heat to simmer. Stir in the currants or raisins and 1 cup of coconut. Beat well as the mixture leaves the sides of the pan. If it is too liquid, add more coconut a tablespoon at a time until the mixture is just moist but not wet. Assemble right away or set aside until you are ready to serve.
1/2 tablespoon ghee Unsalted wheat, mini-rice crackers, or other mild-flavored crackers Cashew, almond, or sesame nut butter
1. Heat the ghee in a small pan over a moderate flame. Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of topping per person. Fry over high heat, stirring until heated thoroughly. Remove from the heat and spread each cracker with about 1/2 teaspoon nut butter, then top with 1 teaspoon hot coconut mixture. Serve warm.
2. If prepared in advance, put the yummies under a broiler for 15 to 20 seconds before serving.
note: To make a Vata/Kapha Golden Yummy use a large rice cake (for Kapha) or toast instead of crackers and spread with topping.
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Benefits Of: CUCHINITO, EXPLODING CUCUMBER
- Benefits Of: CASHEW APPLE
- Benefits Of: ANDEAN AMARANTH KIWICHA
- HOW TO POP A CHAMPAGNE CORK
- HOW TO CHOOSE WINE