It is difficult to give general advice for joint pain as it may have many causes, so it is often best to see a health professional to get a good diagnosis. However, there are many anti-inflammatory herbs that can be safely tried at home for a variety of joint pains.
Home Remedies to Joint pain Photo Gallery
• Apply comfrey ointment externally. Adults and children: 2-3 times a day.
• Apply a warming chilli cream: add no more than 10 drops of chilli tincture (strength 1:3) to 50g of the cream/ointment base. I would avoid this cream in small children as they are likely to transfer the cream accidentally to the eyes. Adults and children over 3 years old: Apply 2-3 times a day to a painful joint.
• A general anti-rheumatic mix can be tried – see box, right.
• Use the cream for painful joints described overleaf.
• 40ml wild yam (tincture strength 1:2)
• 20ml liquorice (tincture strength 1:1) (for precautions see post 53).
• 20ml celery seed (tincture strength 1:2) (for precautions see post 71)
• 20ml willow bark (tincture strength 1:2) (for precautions see post 70)
• Mix ingredients together.
• Pour into a clean, dark glass bottle.
• Label with the contents and the date.
• Store at room temperature for up to a year.
Adults: 5ml diluted with some water, 2-3 times a day.
Children (2-16 years old): adjust the adult dose downwards, depending on the age of the child -see post 6.
CREAM FOR PAINFUL JOINTS
• 50g comfrey cream
• 5 drops wintergreen essential oil (for precautions see post 74)
• 5 drops lavender essential oil (for precautions see post 72)
• 5 drops peppermint essential oil (for precautions see post 73)
• Mix well.
• Transfer to a clean, dark glass jar, making sure that there are no air pockets left.
• Store for up to 12 months.
Adults and children over 3 years old:
Apply to the affected areas 2-3 times a day.
Maybe You Like Them Too
- TOP PROBIOTICS
- Do you love a challenge? We talk to five women who are achieving amazing feats in the great outdoors
- Our Fitness director Lucy Pinto gets a sweat on in the latest gym tops
- Make brightly coloured and flavourful meals that harness the benefits of exotic spices
- Get The Look Sexy Sportswear