Total Time 1 hour, plus cooling
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1¾ cups granulated sugar
1 cup butter, softened
430g ricotta cheese
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1¼ cups icing sugar
blue food colouring
edible silver or gold stars
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. From the lemon, grate 1 tsp zest andsqueeze 3 tbsp juice. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. With the mixer on a medium-high speed, beat granulated sugar, butter and lemon zest until creamy. Add ricotta, eggs and vanilla, beating until combined, stopping and scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat in the flour mixture until just smooth.
2. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. With a small cookie scoop (about 2 tsp), scoop dough into balls and place on a baking tray, spacing 4cm apart. With your fingers, pat each one down into a flat disc. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Let cool on baking tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
3. To make the glaze, stir together icing sugar, reserved lemon juice and ½ tsp water in a medium bowl until smooth. Tint with food colouring to desired shade. Place in a small plastic bag, snip off the tip of one corner and drizzle all over cookies. Decorate with edible stars if desired. Let the cookies stand until set (about 30 minutes). Cookies can be stored in airtight containers in the freezer for up to 1 month. Makes about 3½ dozen.
EACH COOKIE About 630kJ, 3g protein, 22g carbohydrate, 6g fat (4g saturated), 130mg sodium.
Chocolate-glazed Ricotta: Omit the lemon. Instead of using the icing-sugar glaze, drizzle with melted dark chocolate.
Maybe You Like Them Too
- THE NO 1 COCKTAIL HOUR CROWD PLEASER?
- Great Tasting Breakfast
- Benefits Of: CUCHINITO, EXPLODING CUCUMBER
- Benefits Of: CASHEW APPLE
- Benefits Of: ANDEAN AMARANTH KIWICHA